We’ve had a lot of inquiries about email marketing lately and how to use it profitably. If done correctly, email marketing has the potential to be a rock star in any organization.
Experienced email marketers know that in order to get the biggest returns, they must leverage techniques that engage recipients on a personal level and provide individualized experiences.
In fact, when MailChimp (a popular email marketing platform) sampled some of its users it found that campaigns which were segmented (e.g., by clicks, opens or bounces) performed markedly better than their non-segmented counterparts. Digging deeper, campaigns that were segmented by “signup type” saw 88.73% more clicks than non-segmented emails. MailChimp advises marketers to create signup forms with checkboxes, radio buttons or drop-down menus so subscribers can indicate their interests before receiving messages. This remarkable increase in engagement wasn’t isolated to just signup type, as segmenting by attributes like “zip code” or “job title” provided marketers a 14.43% higher open rate than non-segmented campaigns.
Whether you’re currently plugged into your email data to improve engagement rates or not, this Pop Quiz will test your knowledge about email marketing.
1. TRUE OR FALSE: Integration of a direct buy (i.e. buy now) button in email campaigns consistently provides an increase in sales. This is TRUE
2. What percentage of marketers believe smaller, segmented data provides better insight for future development of marketing strategy and execution?
3. What do digital marketers think their biggest email marketing challenge is in 2016?
4. What message do 40% of online retailers make sure they send as their first email to new subscribers?
5. In relation to email deliverability, “SPF” stands for…